Monday, February 6, 2012

Wonder Bread


I am American born and raised.
All is true for the generations that have come before,
As far back as I can remember.  
I have been in the house that my grandmothers, grandmother grew up in.
I have walked the lands that have been in my family for decades.
But who am I really,
And where do I come from?
I am the product of many European nations,
Cultivated over centuries.
A dash of French,
A smidgen of English,
And a heap of Scottish,
All blended together to create me,
Brown hair, brown eyes, and beige skin.
Gives new meaning to the term wonder bread. 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome title! I literally lol'ed. Once I started reading, I acually did end up reconsidering the term "wonder bread". A lot of us really don't know what we are since America is a big mix of everything. I like how you didn't get overly artful in your words, it flowed very easily because I felt like you were speaking, not trying to throw in a lot of vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your poem a lot and it seemed eloquent. It told me a story in a sense. As for the wonder bread I still don't get it to be honest. But some how it seems to fit in. Your poem by far beats mine.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your poem was very well put together and how you used examples of your families house. I also like how you used the term wonder bread in the title and also put it in the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your last line of the poem. Insert 'of' after product and you will have a polished poem.

    ReplyDelete